Exploring Time - Bureå

Ever since I created this blog, I have been thinking a lot about what defines me. I struggled to find words to describe myself in the "About Me" section and that caught me by surprise. Don't I know who I am? What is important to me? What is it that makes me different from others and sets me apart? 

I stared into my screen, my mind working at ultra-sonic speeds to grasp at any sort of words that might come my way. Everything that came out of that search were relatively banal things, like my age and a sum of the things I love and are important to me. And that begged the questions: is that me? who am I after all? I'm convinced that at twenty-four I still don't know what to reply, because I simply have no idea. I really am still trying to figure everything out. What would be the fun in having all the answers anyway? ;)

But today something surprised me in a good way. I put forth these questions and asked my boyfriend how he would describe me. He said I was kind, considerate and persistent, but what struck me most was that he said that I'm always moving and always want to do something. That is me, in a nutshell. I love exploring, seeing new things and experiencing new places. I'm a nomad at soul, even if I keep the same house over time. From this (important) part of me originated the concept of Adventure Fridays, where my boyfriend and I get in the car with our dog and go around exploring the small villages around Skellefteå. You could call it normal Fridays, but I like this name way better! If we can't do it on the assigned day, we try to do it during the weekend. In this post, I report on our trip... to Bureå.


It was a lovely cold day when we set out to find the small village, the sky as grayish-white as the snow that was falling. It felt extremely cozy to be warm inside the car, listening to chill songs, while looking out the window - I felt happy and giddy to be on the road. 


We were also in search of these unique little bus stops that they have here in the countryside. I desperately wanted to photograph them because I find them so endearing and visually pleasing. Most of them are a beautiful blue, but you can spot some occasional red ones. My boyfriend had to drive further than we had anticipated (all the way to the airport and back, actually!), in order to have time/space to pull over in front of one of these, and I had to battle the big pile of snow (knee-deep) in front of the bus stop to get in, but it was worth it. We had a good laugh and we were able to get the pictures. Mission accomplished! 


The village itself is very quiet and quaint, the type of place where I imagine you can lead a pretty relaxed life without many worries. Everything seems to be within reach, even if you don't have a car. 
I probably wouldn't live there, but I really liked visiting it - I felt at peace. They have some interesting buildings, the most remarkable being this gorgeous old church with its intricate brick work and the quirky clock tower roof. It was impressive to stand in front of it (sadly it was closed for construction so we couldn't get it), wondering how on earth humans managed to build it without modern technology. 


I don't have much to add about Bureå because it truly is a small village. We walked around for a little bit, went on the bridge and watched as the water flowed rapidly down the stream (because of the added volume from the snow). We went into the tiny supermarket to buy some snacks and drove home. It was a short experience and I can't say anything particularly interesting happened while we were there, but the feeling I carry along with those memories is lovely. It's cozy, warm and glowing. I wouldn't change a thing about that day. It felt exciting, even if it was a simple adventure. From the interactions I witnessed, most people there seemed patient and kind. No one was in a hurry, because life seemed to run at its own particular pace, one that suited their lives. 

If you ever find yourself in need to get lost in a small town full of hidden charms, you can give this one a chance. You won't regret it!

Comments