The First of Many

Swedes like to mark the occasion on the evening between the 30th of April and the 1st of May during a holiday called Valborgsmässoafton. Apparently it is celebrated throughout a few European countries and its meaning varies according to several factors, including location and religious myth. Here, many people commemorate by burning bonfires or fireworks, this tradition being linked to the concept of light and spring, the very literal symbol of "burning the old and making room for the new". Personally, I was quite fond of that idea...

Our celebrating didn't involve starting any fires, but it sure had plenty of light, fresh air and nature. We went to a friend's house to have an outdoor barbecue and it was a most magical evening. I got to feed sheep for the first time in my life, enjoy delicious food and be in the forest again. Couldn't really ask for anything better from this experience, which was the first in many ways.

My heart fluttered for the entire time we were there. The sun sets quite late during this time of year, so the sunshine poured in through the trees, filling everything around me with pure light. I rejoiced, because I could almost physically feel it with my hands. The air was fresh because of the proximity with the forest and all we could hear was the fire crackling and the birds singing above. Nothing else seemed to go on in the world. It was pure bliss. I hope these images will be enough to give you a sneak peek into this Swedish holiday and how impossibly beautiful it was to be in that mystical atmosphere. 










Just like this, I welcomed the new month with an open heart and a clean slate. And as always, I'll be hoping for more firsts to come. 

Comments